The municipal authority of the city of Innsbruck began the incremental introduction of Acta Nova as the central tool for business case processing with workflow and document management systems back in 2008. Around 400 users work with Acta Nova now the roll-out is complete. The system’s access to specialist systems such as subsidy management was implemented step by step and supplemented by a number of migrations of data from numerous legacy systems. The integration of online forms enables the efficient adoption of incoming data and its further processing without any redundant input.
The city of Innsbruck is a modern municipality of around 130,000 citizens. As the regional capital of Tyrol, it fulfils a wide range of tasks for the extended surrounding area.
- Efficient business case processing
- Inclusion of different specialist areas such as contract and bid management and youth welfare
- Simple deadline management
- Automated exchange of information
- Easy generation of standard documents with the help of templates
- Lower printing costs
- re-motion Framework
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5
- Windows Server 2012
- MS SQL Server
- MS Internet Information Server
Initial situation: Replacement of existing software
“The introduction of modern file management software for electronic file management was necessary in order to fulfil the complex requirements of a modern city and to accommodate its users’ needs and wants for intuitive operation. The solution also had to be flexibly and efficiently adjustable in response to basic legal conditions and capable of integrating with our existing system landscape. Acta Nova fulfils all of these requirements in the best possible way”, says Markus Vogelsberger, Head of IT Applications at the municipal authority of the city of Innsbruck. The overriding objective was to consolidate the historic landscape of many different systems and to map business case-oriented processes exclusively via the central Ata Nova system. The challenge lay in mapping the requirements of specialist applications exclusively through configurative and procedural settings to enable the use of the product in its standard form without any customisation of the software.
Using Acta Nova as a central system for business case processing keeps both investment costs and operating costs low, while the use of a standard product guarantees release compatibility. It has therefore been possible to map all of the procedures replaced so far together with the business case information in the standard product in cooperation with RUBICON.
For instance, we make intensive use of the business case data functionality that enables us to adapt the standard system to our specific needs with regard to logging business data and mapping the associated business processes and subsequently making them available for use with document templates. In addition, the clear structure of the application enabled us to roll out the software in each department with our own resources. RUBICON supported us where necessary within the scope of migration and the adoption of legacy data, which often included the adoption of version and workflow information.
Advantages at a glance
- Business processes are handled faster and more efficiently.
- The entire business process handling procedure is comprehensively mapped from receipt through processing to notification.
- Dates and deadlines are automatically monitored (reminder function with direct integration in the Microsoft Exchange infrastructure).
- All of the documents pertaining to a business process are archived and easily locatable via integrated search mechanisms, including the use of full-text search mechanisms.
- Automation of the exchange of information with other authorities.
- Easy generation of communications with the help of templates. They are dispatched directly from the system.
- Reduced printing costs through electronic processing.
- Simple, clearly laid out user interface.
- An internet connection is all that is required to use the web-based application (no hardware acquisition or installation costs).